I had the pleasure of shooting the debut performance of the swedish metal band Katatonia last January 5, 2017 held in the multi-awarded live music venue in Dubai - The Music Room. Two shows in two consecutive days can sometimes be difficult specially if it will be held in two different countries, the scheduled performance was moved one day ahead of the previously announced schedule to have an ample time of preparation on their Saarang Festival 2017 in India on January 7.
Katatonia is a death metal band (extreme subgenre of heavy metal music) from Stockholm formed in early 90's by Jonas Renkse and Anders Nyström. Considered by many to be one of the melodic heavyweights of Swedish metal. Their 10th album, "Fall of Hearts" was realeased in May 20, 2016.
This was my first time to watch live and cover a metal band performance in a club. The venue was packed with metalhead moniker, clothed in a denimor leather jackets or black shirt with insignias of metal groups. Needless to say, I was overwhelmed and intimated with the wildness of the crowd. Every crowd's head was rocking back and forth in time to the rhythm of the loud music.
Covering this genre in this kind of venue is far more difficult than covering a live performance in a concert arena - no press pit and a minimal vantage point alternatives. Being friendly with everyone is the only weapon of choice you need to use, a small room means you will bump the same hyper crowd over and over again every time you shift your spot from one point to another, so smile and be friendly and they will tap you in return. The crowd was insanely hyped and the bands were incredible, great experience to shoot this genre of music photography.
Katatonia performed a 90 minute show in a packed crowd. They were supported by Dubai based metal band, Benevolent on the first act followed by the "Dark Oriental metal" band form Jordan - Bilocate. Thanks to JoScene Music and Events Management for the access.
- Nikon D800
- Nikon D810
- Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D
- Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED VR
- Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II
- Manfrotto Self Standing Monopod 682b + Benro Head
- Black Rapid Strap - Sport
- Profoto B2 250 AirTTL Location Kit
- Think Tank Airport Navigator
- Bamboo Live in Dubai
- Upcoming Music Gigs in the UAE
- Meet the Cosplayers of MEFCC
- Surviving a Fashion Show Shoot
- Chasing Cinderella on Ice
- I Shot "The Proclaimers"
- Shooting the Con, MEFCC 2016
- Grip & Rip, The Wiz Khalifa Concert
- Shooting Billy Ocean & UB40's Ali, Astro & Mickey
- Tips on Shooting Music Events
- Shooting at the Pit
- Dubai Jazz Fest 2016 - Preparation
- Dubai Festival Show - Mall of the Emirates
- Middle East Film and Comic Con 2013
- Al Ain - The Green City of Emirates